At InterNations, we’re dedicated to making expat life a great experience! With about 3 million members in 390 cities around the world, regular local events, interest-based groups, and useful information, InterNations is the biggest global network for people who live and work abroad. What started as an idea over ten years ago is now changing the lives of expats and global minds around the world each and every day. With a team from over 30 countries, we believe in the benefits of international experience, cultural exchange, and the power of bringing people together. Together we’re constantly growing and learning, coming up with new ways for our members to feel more at home, meet other international people, and enjoy their stay abroad.We offer:
Are you the right one for our team?
- a growing, dynamic company with an international team
- a friendly atmosphere and the space to pursue your ideas
- regular workshops about work-related topics and soft skills
- independent projects and training sessions for interns
- weekly team breakfasts, fresh fruit, and regular team events
Then send us your application (CV and cover letter) today!
About the Role
We have recently established a brand-new office in Porto. The Porto Team will contribute to the InterNations mission and vision by architecting, developing, and testing new products.
Our engineering teams architect, develop and test our products. As a Senior Backend Developer, your mission is to build scalable and fast backend software.
As a member of an international, cross-functional Product Experience Team (PXT), you will architect, implement and test new functionality and maintain existing functionality using PHP, Symfony 3, MariaDB, RabbitMQ and Solr. Our PXTs organize themselves using SCRUM and you will work closely with your Product Manager and your team on the feasibility of concepts and upcoming changes. You will write automated tests at the unit, integration and acceptance levels to assure quality and longevity of our products and a sustainable pace for future changes.
As part of the greater engineering organization, you will lead and take part in cross-team initiatives: architectural changes, refactoring, establishment of best practices. You will be mentoring less experienced colleagues and support their growth.
What we are looking for:
- significant experience in a language like PHP, Java, Scala, Python or Ruby
- significant experience with a modern web framework like Symfony 3, Zend Framework 2, Laravel, Rails, Spring, Django
- you like working with big datasets in relational databases, search indexes or key-value stores
- experience and an interest in distributed systems and scalability
- experience with automated testing, be it unit-, functional- and/or acceptance testing
- a strong display of engineering disclipline and rigor
What we value:
- bettering our skills, teaching each other and learning ways to build better software
- user testing, experimentation, automated testing and continuous integration to gain meaningful feedback for what we do
- fostering collaboration and cooperativeness
Technology we use: PHP 7, Symfony 3, Behat, PHPUnit, MariaDB, Redis, Memcached, Solr, RabbitMQ
Sound interesting? Then start the conversation by telling us about past projects you contributed to and are proud of. We also like to hear about what kind of work environment you thrive in and what technologies you find interesting right now.