At InterNations, we’re dedicated to making expat life a great experience! With more than 3 million members in 420 cities around the world, regular local events, interest-based groups, and useful information, InterNations is the biggest global network for people who live and work abroad. What started as an idea over ten years ago is now changing the lives of expats and global minds around the world each and every day. With a team from around 40 countries, we believe in the benefits of international experience, cultural exchange, and the power of bringing people together. Together we’re constantly growing and learning, coming up with new ways for our members to feel more at home, meet other international people, and enjoy their stay abroad.
- 28 paid vacation days + special paid leave
- conveniently located office
- regular team events and trips
- Albatross Membership for team members and their partners
- XING Premium membership
- training sessions, team library, cross-departmental projects & exchanges
- support with visa application
- in-house yoga and German classes, discounts for gyms and a tae kwon do studio
At InterNations, you’ll be working in a friendly atmosphere geared to bring out your creativity and independence. With our flat organizational structure, you’ll have a lot of room to pursue your own ideas. If you’re a working parent, you’ll find the flexibility you need to support your work-life balance. Start your work week off on the right foot with a weekly team breakfast and get your creative juices going with a free flow of coffee. When inspiration strikes, bounce around new ideas over a game of table football. And as we value building strong connections between our team members, you can look forward to a regular lunch lottery, language tandems, and an annual team-building activity.
About the Role
We have recently established a brand-new office in Porto. The Porto Team will contribute to the InterNations mission and vision by architecting, developing, and testing new products.
Our engineering teams architect, develop and test our products. As a Senior Backend Developer, your mission is to build scalable and fast backend software.
As a member of an international, cross-functional Product Experience Team (PXT), you will architect, implement and test new functionality and maintain existing functionality using PHP, Symfony 3, MariaDB, RabbitMQ and Solr. Our PXTs organize themselves using SCRUM and you will work closely with your Product Manager and your team on the feasibility of concepts and upcoming changes. You will write automated tests at the unit, integration and acceptance levels to assure quality and longevity of our products and a sustainable pace for future changes.
As part of the greater engineering organization, you will lead and take part in cross-team initiatives: architectural changes, refactoring, establishment of best practices. You will be mentoring less experienced colleagues and support their growth.
What we are looking for:
- significant experience in a language like PHP, Java, Scala, Python or Ruby
- significant experience with a modern web framework like Symfony 3, Zend Framework 2, Laravel, Rails, Spring, Django
- you like working with big datasets in relational databases, search indexes or key-value stores
- experience and an interest in distributed systems and scalability
- experience with automated testing, be it unit-, functional- and/or acceptance testing
- a strong display of engineering disclipline and rigor
What we value:
- bettering our skills, teaching each other and learning ways to build better software
- user testing, experimentation, automated testing and continuous integration to gain meaningful feedback for what we do
- fostering collaboration and cooperativeness
Technology we use: PHP 7, Symfony 3, Behat, PHPUnit, MariaDB, Redis, Memcached, Solr, RabbitMQ
Then start the conversation by sending us your application (CV and cover letter) today. Tell us about past projects you have contributed to and are proud of. We’d also like to hear about what kind of work environment you thrive in and which technologies you find interesting right now.